Ceph - Open Source Storage System
Ceph is a flexible and high-performance open source storage system that works together very well with OpenNebula and OpenStack, thanks to the KVM / QEMU compatibility. In addition Ceph has an Object Store, which can be used, among other things, as an alternative to Amazon S3.
Through the intelligent architecture a subsequent extension is easily possible and allows nearly limitless scalability. Compared with other established Ceph storage systems, this yields the following benefits:
- Easy to use
- High reliability
- Replication of data to any number of nodes
- Low costs by using standard hardware
- Faster access through intelligent data distribution
- Easy back up snapshots (incl. geo replication)
- S3 and Swift compatible interface
- No vendor lock-in!
Ceph is ideal as a cloud storage for OpenNebula or OpenStack environments and provides a cost-effective data storage.
Since performance is key in cloud environments, Ceph offers the perfect approach - the more nodes you add, the faster the access times for large amounts of data get.