Configuration Management with Puppet
Even in large environments, servers, networks and applications, are often still managed manually. This is not only uneconomical and inefficient, but also very error prone.
The solution to this problem is called automation with Puppet: Regularly recurring tasks, such as package installations, configuration changes or computer installations are only described centrally and then rolled out.
With Puppet, the configuration changes are described and stored at a central location, the so-called Puppetmaster.
Puppet distributes these files to its clients and converts the desired changes to the affected servers regardless of the operating system.
For every environment
Puppet is suitable for both small and very large networks. While it can be used locally in small environments, it offers a client-server mode for larger ones.
The central Puppet server distributes the configuration to its clients via an SSL-based protocol and then accepts the logs for reporting.
Internally, Puppet uses its own declarative language to describe the configuration of a target system. This makes it easy to roll out the configuration on other systems without having to change a single line of the meta-configuration in Puppet.
Also possible mistakes can be understood later even easier.
Integration into Foreman
Foreman – the lifecycle management tool for physical and virtual servers. The Foreman is an open source project that helps administrators manage their systems throughout the lifecycle, from provisioning and configuration to orchestration and monitoring.
Puppet abstracts the existing environment
Puppet can perform various admin tasks, such as creating a user, changing configuration files, or installing software on very different servers, even if these servers are running different operating systems.
By using a provider, the generic tasks are converted into the real commands for the respective system.
More time for yourself
Whether used on a small and heterogeneous network of workstations or in large, homogenous cluster environments, Puppet helps you avoid the hassles of routine chores.
All these time-consuming tasks can be automated with Puppet, effectively leaving more time to take care of the real tasks or projects.
Puppet uses Facter, a validation tool that automatically creates a profile of all hosts managed by Puppet. The collected data is made available to Puppet scripts as variables.
As a result, the systems can be automatically divided into different classes, such as network, host name, operating system or hardware, without having to maintain this information manually.
The simple beginning of something big
With our starter packs, we want to simplify the entry into the configuration management with Puppet and provide a cost-effective way to get to know the open source system. Without first having to go into large financial advance, as is often the case with commercial products.
One of our experienced consultants comes on site for 4 or 7 days, sets up the system directly on site and provides the basics for further operations. The package is settled at a fixed price and there are no additional costs, as we rely on Puppet Open Source for implementation.
Puppet Starter Pack Standard
- Training Fundamentals for Puppet (3 days for 3 participants – additional participants possible at extra cost) *
- Workshop for the conception of the configuration management
- Introduction to Puppet DSL (domain-specific language)
- Installation Puppet Master based on jointly developed architecture
- Establishment of a Git version control system
- Joint creation of basic modules for the respective environment (SSH, MTA etc.)
- Joint creation of extended, more complex modules according to customer requirements (Apache, NRPE etc.)
Puppet Starter Pack Premium
- Schulung Fundamentals for Puppet (3 Tage für 3 Teilnehmer – weitere Teilnehmer gegen Aufpreis möglich) *
- Workshop zur Konzeptionierung des Konfigurationsmanagements
- Installation Puppet Master nach gemeinsam erarbeiteter Architektur
- Einrichtung eines Git-Versionskontrollsystems
- Gemeinsame Erstellung von Basismodulen für die jeweilige Umgebung (SSH, MTA etc.)
- Gemeinsame Erstellung von erweiterten, komplexeren Modulen nach Kundenwunsch (Apache, NRPE etc.)
* The training is the scope of the Fundamentals for Puppet training and will be carried out on-site (including student notebooks, training material and certificates)
Articles from our Blog
Nachdem letzte Woche der Nginx verwendet wurde, wenden wir uns im nun vorerst letzten Teil der Konfiguration des Apaches als Webserver zur Auslieferung von Icinga Web 2 zu.Der Apache kommt unter Debian als abhängig zu installierendes Paket von icingaweb2 mit und wird...
Im heutigen Teil dieser Reihe, fügen wir den ausstehenden Code zur Konfiguration von Nginx als Webserver für Icinga Web 2 hinzu. Neben den benötigten Nginx-Ressources, vor allem der Umleitung auf den PHP-FPM, ist darauf zu achten, dass Nginx vor der Klasse icingaweb2...
Our webinar archive for Puppet
Trust the market leader
We are happy to bring you our experience from more than 500 projects. Whether professional services, training or support for your environment.
Support from the specialist
We are happy to support your Puppet environment through our support team.